Thursday, April 10, 2008

Forced to Abdicate

Here I am on a week day, at home. I can barely talk (my voice is gone). My throat & chest feels like they are on fire. There is a consistent throbbing pain behind my right eye, my head feels like it's burning & the pressure behind my eyes & nose, well I can hardly breath..... But thank goodness I can still type with my fingers.

I am working from home today because I do not want to infect any of my co-workers. There are some compassionate people I work with that keep telling me to "go home" and "get some rest"...Not to mention one co-worker's consistent recommendation to "Lysol my desk".....With my eyes red & watery, and my head feeling like it's about to explode, I finally took their advice/hint.

"But I am Superwoman.... I am STILL going to work from home & save the world!!"

I am a software trainer and on this particular day, I had a 2 hour phone training scheduled with my biggest client to date.... "No worries!!.... I'll do the training from home".... 3 hours before the training, my manager emails me "Are you sure you can go through with the training?"....

"Well of course !! I am Superwoman!!... It's just a 2 hour training... Don't worry Mr President... 'I' won't let you down!!"....

As the hands on the clock tick away, I notice that I am making frequent visits to the "bucket" to chuck up and of course there is no one at home to hold my hair back....

Then right in the middle of yet another session of projectile vomiting.... it occurred to me... "Hello??? You CANNOT last 10 minutes without being overcome with nausea... Not to mention your voice.... or lack there of!!!!! Give up the Superwoman act!!!".

And that was when I decided to finally abdicate.

"Manager, please have them reschedule my training session"

It was done.

How many of you push push and push yourself to the limit and even when your body tries to tell you to STOP!!! You still try to stop a steam train!!... This is a re-occuring theme in my life, but each time it happens, I am reminded that I have a choice. You have a choice, you always have a choice. If you push yourself too hard, the only person you end up letting down is yourself.

"Mr President... Superwoman is currently under attack of the microbes.. she has quarrantined herself in her quarters until she wins the battle..... At which point she will resume her duties to save the world!!!"

Thanks for reading.... got to go & fight the microbes.... Good night!